As an employee of Lafayette General Health, I believe that there is no higher responsibility than to provide and ensure high quality and a caring environment for our patients, customers, and coworkers. I know that I am only one person, but I also know that it only takes one person to make a difference, either positive or negative. When I choose to work within this system, I am choosing to embrace the following SERVICE standards and behavioral values in order to promote the mission and vision of our system. I will be both committed to and accountable for demonstrating supportiveness, etiquette, respect, vibrancy, integrity, communication, and excellence in service delivery by adhering to the behaviors specified in this document.
- I will welcome new employees to the system and serve as a mentor when appropriate.
- I will be a team player and work collaboratively to help others, including those outside of my department. I will avoid using the phrase, "That’s not my job/patient/department."
- I will use proper phone etiquette by identifying myself & the department, followed by a pleasant greeting.
- I will follow the 10/5 rule: acknowledging the person at 10 feet away with a smile, saying "hello” at 5 feet away.
- I will allow patients, customers & guests on and off elevators or through doorways first.
- I will help lost guests and new employees by escorting them to their destination instead of just pointing.
- I will dress to reflect respect and professionalism by wearing clothes that are clean, neat and in good repair. (Policy V-D4)
- I will respect dignity and diversity. I will knock before entering patient rooms and cover patients being transported.
- I will make a conscious decision to have a positive, willing and flexible attitude each day.
- I will embrace change by contributing & being open to new ideas & approaches. Further, I will avoid using phrases like, "But that’s how we’ve always done it.”
- I will promote a nurturing, healing and safe physical environment by removing clutter, ensuring cleanliness and keeping equipment in working order. I will report any damaged equipment or unsafe situations immediately.
- I will ensure the privacy and validity of all medical records, correspondence and confidential conversations.
- I will proactively seek opportunities for continued growth and development. I will accept coaching as part of a supportive culture.
- I will be fiscally responsible by not wasting hospital time, resources or equipment.
- I will A.C.T. (Acknowledge, Correct, Thank) when faced with a complaint or service recovery opportunity. (Policy II-U)
- I will use AIDET always.
- (Acknowledge) I will make eye contact, smile, promptly acknowledge those that approach me and use names.
- (Introduce) I will wear my name badge on the upper, front part of my body and verbalize who I am and what I do.
- (Introduce) I will promote confidence in LGH by managing up our team and hospital.
- (Duration) I will provide timeframes for follow-up/next steps in service and updates when necessary.
- (Explanation) I will actively listen and explain things in a way people can understand.
- (Thank) I will recognize, praise and thank our patients and team.
- I will take the time to read hospital and system communications (emails, flyers, bulletins, policies, electronic boards, etc.) to stay informed of responsibilities, changes and events. I will avoid repeatedly using the phrase, "I didn’t know.”
- I will avoid using communication devices (cell phones, text, internet, iPod) for personal reasons during work time. (Policy V-D7)
Excellence (in service delivery)
- I will convey concern and compassion as well as a willingness to serve.
Above all, I will exceed the expectations of my customers, patients, and co-workers by consistently doing the right thing, at the right time, for the right reason. I agree to abide by the preceding standards of behavior for the duration of my career here.