Before the Storm -- Are You Prepared?
Need tips for preparing yourself and your family?
See the tips below to help you prepare and plan. You should have a backup plan in the event your first choice is not able to be carried out.
Before The Storm:
- Contact local emergency management to gain a "risk assessment" of your neighborhood
- Check to see if you have adequate flood insurance
- Create a disaster plan
- Select your own reliable transportation
- Arrange to stay with others in an area not at risk
- Make arrangements in advance for pets. They are not allowed in shelters.
- Select a place to meet family if you are separated and cannot return home
- Select a place out-of-state to leave messages for separated family members
- Post emergency numbers by telephones
- If you evacuate leave a note telling others when you left and where to reach you
In the event of a disaster, please check for important updates and phone numbers that will help you plan for your medical care in the event of an evacuation or disaster.